The Castle

The Castle

The oldest mentions dates back to the 11th-12th Century; The 14th Century Angevin Castle, was rebuilt on the foundations of the Swabian-Noman castle. The later, with quadrangular shape , had four towers around the perimeter open towards the inside, lower walls with castellated walkway and cistern for storing rainwater.

Preserved in all its grandeur is, the olive tree tower, which was built around the beginning of the 12th Century.  Between the 14th and 17th Century  the castle interiors were extended  and a balcony on the first floor was added.

On the map of Crecchio drawn in 1768 the Castle appears as an austere castellated fortress, but in 1789 it will lose this feature ,when Barone Camillo De Riseis transformed this residence into a leisure and holiday resort for important people and European nobility such as: Letizia Bonaparte, Gabriele D’Annunzio, the Prince Umberto II of Savoy and his wife Maria Josè.

On 9th September 1943, King Vittorio Emanuele III, Queen Elena, Prince Umberto II, General Badoglio and all their staff stayed at the castle, whilst fleeing from Rome to Brindisi. During the following winter the drawing of the Gustav line across the nearby hills transformed it into a German strategic stronghold. It was then severely damaged by the Allied offensive.

Since 1976 it has been restored by the  Soprintendenza ai Beni Culturali. In 1995 the Castle became the home of the  Museo dell'Abruzzo Bizantino ed Altomedioevale (Abruzzo Byzantine and Medieval Archeological Museum).